Saturday, October 8, 2011

Cinderella's carriage


I have found that I don't really miss many South African foods here. I buy Mrs Balls from Sainsbury's and rely on friends to bring Smarties, Peppermint Crisp and SAD fruit Dainties. The only thing we have had to get used to, is UK mayo - just isn't Crosse 'n Blackwell. For the rest, we happily use what we find here :)


But! The one thing I do miss and can't find in England - or at least here ion Bristol - is pumpkin. We have to make do with butternut and sometimes hubbard squash, but no pumpkin  



Except, that is, at Halloween! And so (even though we don't do Halloween, we DO love pumpkin), I have bought a huge Cinderella Pumpkin 




chopped it up and frozen 




for all our favourite recipes: pumpkin pie, fritters, pumpkin bredie, etc, etc. Tonight it is bobotie and roasted pumpkin 


I'm sure before Halloween is over, I would have bought another 1 (or 2)!

No comments:

Post a Comment