Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lest we forget

For a couple of days before 11/11/11, people have been wearing their poppies in remembrance of WW1 as well as WW2 heroes (This year for the first time, there are no more living WW1 heroes).
In fact, many people at the same time remember those still in active service and those who have lost their lives in other wars and battles.
These men and women have given their lives so that we can live in freedom and safety.
And it is important to remember as "He who does not learn from history, is doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana 


Sadly, us humans have short memories as the genocides in Albania and Ruanda testify to.


Anyhow, one of my quirks, is that I attach songs to words and phrases. Sometimes, that comes
back at me, for example when I'm having a pity party, life is so unfair, and why me?? The song

Why me, Lord? what have I ever done
To deserve even one of the pleasures I've known
Tell me Lord, what did I ever do
That was worth loving You for the kindness You've shown.



pops into my head...and well, there goes my pity party!


The "Lest we forget" slogan brought to mind this song:


King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary.

Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.

How often we take what our Lord Jesus did for us on the cross for granted! We forget that 

He gave His life, not only that we can have physical freedom but that we can be free from sin;
He gave His life, not only that we can live in peace now, but that we can know "the peace of God that passes all understanding";
He gave His life, not only to heal our diseases and give us life in abundance but that we may live with Him for eternity.


He paid a great price for us! How He loves us! 


ancientbritonpetros.blogspot.com
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us -
 1 John 3:16

1 comment: